Thursday, November 21, 2013
CeCe is a STAR!
CeCe has something to smile about - she passed her AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy! Congratulations to KellyAnn for doing a fabulous job of training six-month old, CeCe, Grayhart's Almost Famous, (Parker x Savi) to her first title!
The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test is a pre-Canine Good Citizen test for puppies under one year of age., who complete a basic puppy obedience class and can demonstrate specific skills.
20 STEPS To Success: The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy® TEST
1. Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams,
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC
Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for
puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least
6 weeks of class
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other
than the owner
13. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight
line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other
people 5-ft away
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks
10 steps and returns)