|Me with Savi and Jam who were melting from the heat.|
|KellyAnn and the beautiful CeCe|
Savi is CH Grayhart's Shear Genius, CD, SH, OA, OAJ, NSD, NRD, VX, CGCA
CeCe is CH Grayhart's Almost Famous, BN, RN, RL-1, CGCA
From the AKC website, here is information about the CGCA test:
- be registered or listed with AKC (AKC number, PAL, or AKC Canine Partners number) and,
- already have a Canine Good Citizen award/title on record.
- Dog stands, sits or lies down and waits under control while the owner:
- sits at the registration table and fills out paperwork, or,
- if the test is done in the community, dog waits while the owner sits and has a snack or visits with another person (e.g., at a park)
- Walks on a loose leash in a natural situation (not in a ring) -- does not pull.
- left turn
- right turn
- fast and slow pace
- Walks on loose leash through a crowd:
- at a show or in class, this item is tested in a real crowd, not in a ring
- in the community, dog walks on sidewalk, through a crowd at a community fair, park, on a trail, through a busy hallway, etc.
- Dog walks past distraction dogs present; does not pull.
This item may be tested along with #3 if there are dogs in the crowd, etc.
- at a show or class, dog walks by dogs waiting in the crowd--dogs 2 ft. apart
- in the community, dog walks by other dogs on a trail, sidewalk, in a hallway, etc.
- Sit -- stay in small group (3 other people with dogs).
Owners and dogs are in an informal circle/square while owners have a conversation.
Dogs are all on the owner's left side, on leash; 3 ft. apart. (At least 30 seconds)
- Dog allows person who is carrying something (backpack, computer bag, etc.) to approach and pet it.
"May I pet your dog?" (Item is placed on floor/ground before the person pets the dog)
- "Leave it." Dog walks by food and follows owner instructions, "Leave it."
This can be food placed by the evaluator on the floor or ground in a food dish with a wire cover as in Rally.
- Down or sit stay -- distance (owner's choice).
Dog is on 20--ft line, owner walks away with back to dog, picks up an item (e.g., backpack, training bag, clipboard, folder etc.) placed on the floor/chair/ground by the evaluator and returns to the dog.
- Recall with distractions present (coming when called). Handler goes out 20--ft. **(off center) and calls dog.
Dog is on the 20--ft. line from #8 above.
- Dog will sit or stand stay (owner's choice) while owner enters/exits a doorway or narrow passageway. Owner calls dog through door when ready.
Owner may also choose to:
- send the dog through first and have the dog wait for the owner, or
- the owner may choose to have the dog go through the doorway at the owner's side.
Doorway or gate can be real or simulated with ring gates, two chairs, or a natural passageway (e.g., entrance to trail) in the community.